|SME Business Development Specialist|
|Title||SME Business Development Specialist|
|Program:||Partnership for Local Economic Development and Democratic Governance|
|Start date:||June 17, 2019|
|Language Requirements:||Fluency in Ukrainian and English|
|Type of Employment||Full-time position with 40 working hours per week|
The Ukraine Partnership for Local Economic Development and Democratic Governance Program (PLEDDG) is a development program funded by the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC) – that Federation of Canadian Municipalities will implement from 2015 till 2020. The FCM is the national voice for Canadian municipal government. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal governments.
The PLEDDG Program aims to strengthen Ukraine’s municipal sector by increasing capacities in sixteen (16) cities to advance local democracy and economic development, by creating a more enabling local environment for small and medium enterprise development, and by facilitating decentralization of authorities and integrated development planning at the local, regional and national level. More about PLEDDG at http://pleddg.org.ua/ua/
Under the general direction of the Senior Governance Advisor, the SME Business Development Specialist will work in direct collaboration with members of Ukraine-based PLEDDG team in Kyiv to improve the capacity of partner cities to create a favourable enabling environment for SMEs with a focus on women entrepreneurs and environmentally friendly business. The SME Business Development Specialist will also work in consultation with PLEDDG project team based in Ottawa and various Canadian consultants and volunteers.
Working in partnership with Ukrainian and Canadian partners, the SME Business Development Specialist will ensure that methodologies and activities, which support local economic development and SME business growth in 16 Ukrainian cities, are implemented under the auspices of the PLEDDG project. Within the context of the project team, he/she should also be able to work independently, and be willing to use the skills, experience and understanding of SME business development dynamics in Ukraine to effect SME growth at the local level.
- Provide coordination and support for improving capacity of partner cities to create a favourable enabling environment for SME growth:
- Participate in and coordinate feedback mechanisms to obtain SME input on needed improvements in the municipal business environment (e.g. an analysis of the legal and regulatory framework affecting SME growth);
- Identify new business services that emphasize gender equality and environmental sustainability that support and promote SME growth, with a focus on women, youth, and internally displaced persons;
- Support partner cities in the design, development and monitoring of individual SME strategies, programs and initiatives;
- Develop and maintain regular liaisons with the representatives of partner cities as well as prepare consolidated reports on project activities related to SME business development.
- Assist in the design and coordinate the implementation of project activities within PLEDDG’s SME Development component:
- Coordinate capacity building on how to support SME development through business support services, business incubators, and other innovative approaches;
- Provide input on financing, reporting and monitoring procedures related to initiatives implemented by partner cities on SME development;
- Work with partner cities and the representatives of Technical Assistance programs from Ukraine, Canada, and other countries to facilitate effective implementation of the SME development initiatives;
- Ensure preparation of consolidated reports on project activities in partner cities for PLEDDG Program Director and Senior Governance Advisor and participate in the collection of data related to achieving project RBM (results-based management) objectives;
- Develop the TORs and provide support (if needed) to Project SME support consultants;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the PLEDDG Program Director and/or Senior Governance Advisor that are consistent with the overall scope of the position.
- Strong knowledge of processes and tools associated with local governance and local economic development (LED) mechanisms (strategic planning, investments, business development, policy, legislation, best practices, public-private partnerships, etc.).
- University degree in public administration, economics and/or finance.
- Strong mentoring and advisory skills related to capacity building efforts.
- A minimum of five (5) years working experience in business development and local economic development.
- To be able to function in a dynamic, high-pressure environment with multiple tasks and deadlines.
- To demonstrate maturity in all interactions with colleagues within the office, as well as with the project partners and stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to communicate with national and local stakeholders to ensure the successful completion of activities.
- To have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other office operation related software.
- Good communication and writing skills in both Ukrainian and English.
- Knowledge of donor-funded activities in Ukraine related to local governments and LED would be an asset.
In order to apply for this position, please provide a cover letter and CV with “PLEDDG SME Business Development Specialist” in the subject line to email@example.com by May 22, 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.